Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Tolerance

Having arrived home the rest of this blog, which I do hope to continue by way of diary, will continue with some ex post writing.

One question: The notion of tolerance doesn't very well treat its own limits. In many of my talks on this trip I tried to get people to not think so much of what they would tolerate but what they would not tolerate.

My friend Arifin suggested that a Democracy comes with certain responsibilities -- and not be critical of religion was one of them. My own feeling is that criticism is a matter of respect -- you always criticize things you respect; you call them to something better and point out their flaws because you expect something better.

Limiting that criticism ahead of time simply prevents effective criticism.

No comments: